Sunday, December 2, 2012

TOMS Refashion DIY

Most of you probably know what TOMS are. If you don’t, they basically are a company that matches every pair of shoes purchased with a new pair of shoes given to a child in need. The shoes are cute and comfy as well.

A few years ago, I got a pair of TOMS and have since worn them about out. It’s really sad. There are holes in the toes and on the heel of one as well. As much as I love these shoes, I knew they were in dire need of some help, so I was ecstatic to find this tutorial through Pinterest and I decided to try it myself. Also, I did some things a little differently, but I would highly suggest looking at hers as well before you try your own. She has some great tips.

If you try out this project, please send us your pictures or any tips you find out that I didn't mention. Also, if you would like to see bigger pictures of any of the steps just let us know. 

Supplies:
  • Pair of Old TOMS
  • 1 Yard of Cotton Canvas Fabric (I used canvas because it is more like the fabric the TOMS were made out of)
  • Fabric Glue
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Kit (to see what is in mine look at our previous post)
    • Needle and Thread
    • Straight Pins
    • Seam Ripper
    • Thimble (optional, but highly suggested. I used a lot of pins)
  • Trim of your choice
  • Patches and Iron (if you have holes in the shoes like I did)

Step 1
  1. To start, I had to patch up those awful holes.  I bought a pack of patches that had multiple colors in it, so I used the jean color for the inside of the shoe and the black for the outside. I patched both sides because I've noticed the first place for TOMS to wear out is the toes, so I wanted to make mine last a little longer. I trimmed the loose strings and then cut the patch to be just a little larger than the hole. Because my patches were iron-on, I just pinned the patch in place and ironed. Make sure to use the cotton setting. 
  2. Step 2
  3. Next, I used the seam ripper to remove the TOMS flag from the back of the shoes.
  4. Step 3
  5. I started with the front (toe) of the shoe and simply lined up the edge of the fabric with the line already on the TOMS. I then started gluing on one side and began pinning to hold the fabric in place while the glue dried. Once I had glued it and the pins were in place I cut the fabric around the sole of the shoe. If you are adding trim, you don't have to worry about it being exact because the trim will hide it. Also, I found that you don't need to cover the shoe in glue. You only need to glue down the edges. TIP: I found this part was easier if I stuffed the shoe with paper towels to keep the shape.
  6. Step 4
  7. I then continued to the top of the shoe and glued it the same way as Step 3. When it comes to the "V" or elastic part of the shoe, I just cut as close to the edge as possible. As the other tutorial said, if you cover this section, the shoe might not stretch. You can also see that I only glued the edges in this section.
  8. Step 5
  9. I apologize for not getting as many pictures doing the back section, but it is essentially the same as the other two. Just make sure when you get to the little flag on the side to tuck the fabric under it so you can still see it. Also, if you skipped Step 2, but still want the TOMS logo to show through follow this tutorial on how to do that. I also tucked about a centimeter of fabric on the inside of the shoe and simply glued to help enforce the back section.
  10. Step 6
  11. If you are going to sew the logo/flag on the back, just pin it in place and, as you can see in the top picture, there should still be some holes and so just follow those.
  12. Step 7
  13. For the trim section, I basically just used A LOT of glue, A LOT of pins and I also sewed in some places like where the trim started or where the trim overlapped. The sewing also helped for the turns in the "V." For this section, I highly suggest using plenty of glue. As long as your glue dries clear then you will have no problem.
 Good Reminders:
  • You will want to let the glue set at least 24 hours before wearing the shoes so they don't get ruined. 
  • Also, although this project may look like it won't take very long, it actually is quite time consuming because of the dry time for the glue. Just be patient and keep coming back to it.

I hope everyone's come out as great as mine did and that you will all be able to extend the life of your TOMS and save some money as well.  Remember to send in your pictures and we will feature them here on the blog.

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think...leave me a note and I promise I'll do my best to reply!

*Opinions are more than welcome on this blog, same as or different than mine. However, hateful words are not allowed and I reserve the right to remove comments that are clearly malicious in nature towards myself or others.