Monday, October 15, 2012

Sewing Kit: A Dorm Necessity

Hey everyone! 

If you’re in college and have looked at those lists telling you what you need to bring to college, you have most likely seen sewing kits and, like me, have just skipped right over it. I know some of you, especially if you don’t particularly know how to sew, are saying, “Why would I need a sewing kit?” I’m here to tell you that you really should get one, even if it’s just a small one with the basics. 

Imagine waking up one morning and getting ready for a presentation and while you’re getting dressed you realize that your favorite blouse that you had planned to wear has somehow lost a button. If you don’t have a sewing kit, you might have to get rid of that shirt. Instead, you could whip your needle and thread out and make a quick repair (here is a good post if you don't know how to sew a button). You could do the same with any type of clothing.

So, the other day I found a hole in my favorite pair of jeans and was devastated. So naturally I knew I needed to run out and get a sewing kit!

The one I got was from Michaels. I can’t remember how much it was (it wasn’t over $10), but it was small and simple and had the basics for me to do little hand sewing projects. The materials that were included were:

  • Thread (navy, little blue, green, red, white, yellow, pink, brown grey, black)
  • Straight Pin
  • Hand Sewing Needles
  • Needle Threader
  • Scissors
  • Seam Ripper
  • Tape Measure
  • Thimble
  • Buttons
  • Pin Cushion
  • Safety Pins
I also bought some denim thread for repairing the jeans. After buying the kit, I realized that I had a few more clothes that needed some quick and easy repairs. I was able to fix the jeans and a cardigan in under 10 minutes.
So, if you don’t have one already, run out and get a sewing kit and be prepared for any fashion emergency.

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think...leave me a note and I promise I'll do my best to reply!

*Opinions are more than welcome on this blog, same as or different than mine. However, hateful words are not allowed and I reserve the right to remove comments that are clearly malicious in nature towards myself or others.