Tuesday, May 27, 2014

building a better temple

Today I want to talk about our temples. Yes, this is another post about health and self love but I promise it's different. Last Friday I discussed how I feel about striving for skinny versus striving for health. In a nutshell, skinny and other size related terms are not valid as compliments or insults.

I did a little reading in Titus 2 over the weekend about the qualities and characteristics of Godly leadership, both men and women in leadership, and what really stood out to me is that a leader must exhibit self-control to be an example for future generations. I also read this verse:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20: Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Self control. I am not my own. Skinny is a swear word. How does it all tie together?

Here's how:

In order to be a Godly woman in leadership and life, I must have the self control to build the best temple I can and maintain a healthy body and a healthy mindset that focuses on Christ and not on a scale.

So today I started a new journey. A journey to a better temple. A temple that doesn't rest on a scale, see the size on a clothing label, or strive for a worldly standard of beauty. Today I started a journey towards a temple that honors the price I was bought with and stands firm on the word of God.
Disregard the time...I screenshotted at lunch but I did the workout early this morning.
I'm beginning to run, and I started this morning. I don't have a 5k date picked out yet, but there are a few races I'm interested in. But for now, I'm working my way towards increased endurance and distance, and someday soon I will be able to run one.

Last night I bought myself some new workout gear. I haven't gotten workout clothes in at least two years. I know that I am much more comfortable doing something new if I feel confident, so I decided to find some things that made me feel good about my body.

Neon, everywhere. So confused by this trend. But I like it too.
A few friends have agreed to text me a few times a week to make sure I'm doing what I've committed to. I would like to ask all of you, dear friends, to help me be accountable as well. Check in with me via email or comments and remind me of why I'm doing this. Leave me some notes of encouragement and some verses to remind me that I was bought with a price and that the hard work now is nothing compared to the price He paid for me.

This community here in Blogland is so wonderful. I love that I can write a post and ask for help and know that some sweet friends will take it seriously and keep me motivated.

What about you, dear ones? How can I encourage you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you think...leave me a note and I promise I'll do my best to reply!

*Opinions are more than welcome on this blog, same as or different than mine. However, hateful words are not allowed and I reserve the right to remove comments that are clearly malicious in nature towards myself or others.